On policy allowing women into combat, Marines prepared to seek exceptions || By Martin Matishak | Courtesy; MILINET


MILINET

bildeMembers of a Female Engagement Team assigned to 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, conduct a security patrol in Marjah, Afghanistan in 2011. (Marine Corps)

A force integration plan sent to top Marine Corps officers and enlisted leaders March 12 by the commandant reveals that more women will be assigned to previously closed combat arms units, but emphasizes the service will be prepared to seek exceptions to the 2013 Defense Department directive that opens all combat roles to women by Jan. 1, 2016.

The possibility of women serving in infantry, reconnaissance and special operations specialties has generated the most controversy since then-Defense Secretary Leon Panetta rescinded the Direct Ground Combat and Assignment Rule, which excluded women from direct ground combat.

“My decision to integrate or recommend an (exception to policy) will be based on my foremost guiding principle: fielding a Marine Corps that is ready to fight and win on short notice, in the most difficult and uncertain circumstances,” Gen. Jim Amos asserts in the force integration plan,which was obtained by Marine Corps Times. “We will maintain our high standards while ensuring the maximum success for every Marine.”

The commandant could also request extensions past the 2016 deadline “if necessary,” according to the integration road map.

Read More Here: http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/article/20140321/CAREERS/303210039/On-policy-allowing-women-into-combat-Marines-prepared-seek-exceptions

Advertisements

Five Ways You’re Wrong About Libya || Raphael Cohen, Gabriel S | COURTESY: LtCol Mark a McDonald, USMC (Ret) MILINET


MILINET

Part 1 of 3

libya_cc_31814

Three years after the start of the Western military operation against Muammar Gaddafi’s regime, “Libya” continues to be upheld as a war done right. It was quick, cheap, successful, and executed primarily by our allies. In the immediate aftermath, it was“hailed as a model intervention” by then U.S. envoy to NATO Ivo Daalder and Supreme Allied Commander Admiral James Stravidis. Even after the terrorist attack in Benghazi, President Obamaproudly asserted that “we were able to—without putting troops on the ground, at the cost of less than what we spent in 2 weeks in Iraq—liberate a country that had been under the yoke of dictatorship for 40 years, got rid of a despot who had killed Americans.” Despite the president’s characterization, Libya today remains shrouded in misconceptions.

1. Libya was a European operation

Read More Here: http://nationalinterest.org/commentary/five-ways-youre-wrong-about-libya-10071

4 Soldiers injured in Explosion near Syrian border || Courtesy; Israel Video Network


Isreali Video Network I

IDF syriaborder

Click here to watch: 4 Soldiers injured in Explosion near Syrian Border

Four Israel Defense Forces soldiers were wounded on Tuesday when their patrol jeep apparently ran over a bomb near the Israel-Syria border. The army initially said three soldiers were lightly to moderately injured but later announced that there was a fourth soldier wounded and that he was in “severe” condition. The incident occurred near Majdal Shams, and the soldiers were evacuated to Rambam Hospital in Haifa. They were apparently hit after they spotted a suspicious person near the fence and approached to investigate. Light arms fire was also apparently directed at the patrol, according to Maariv. The military reportedly returned artillery fire into Syria, hitting sites in the nearby city of Quneitra, including a Syrian army base. “The IDF retaliated toward Syrian Military positions,” the army said in a statement. Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said the attack came amid a recent influx of “jihadists and Hezbollah members” near Syria’s border with Israel, which he said “poses a new challenge.” Netanyahu, who spoke at a meeting of his Likud faction, added, “In the past few years, we’ve succeeded in keeping the peace in the face of the civil war in Syria, and here too we will act forcefully to maintain Israel’s security.” The IDF announced in a tweet that it held the Syrian army responsible for the attack. A similar attack in December in the same area caused damage to a military jeep but resulted in no casualties.

WATCH HERE

The incident follows an attack on Friday, which took place in the Har Dov area in the north, when terrorists penetrated hundreds of meters into Israel and planted two small IED bombs in front of an army jeep. That blast damaged the jeep and caused light injuries to its occupants. Three soldiers were taken to a hospital to rule out any internal injuries from the blast. The blast was originally reported to have taken place along the border. On Friday in retaliation for the attack, the IDF fired on several targets across the Lebanese border, including tank fire at a Hezbollah position in the village Kfar Kileh.

Source: Times of Israel

***
Meshuganas on Passover on the Daily Show

Click here to watch: Meshuganas on Passover on the Daily Show

Hysterical – Jason Bateman and John Stewart talking Yiddish!

Am Yisrael Chai

MUJAO spokesman reported killed in French airstrike || By Bill Roggio


ob_475a91_ansar-al-din-omar-hamaha
Image Added by Jericho777 ( Oumar Ould Hamaha)

Malian military officials are claiming that Oumar Ould Hamaha, who has served as spokesman for the Movement for Oneness and Jihad in West Africa, has been killed during a series of French airstrikes in northern Mali. From Reuters:

Two Malian military sources said Hamaha – a former member of al Qaeda’s north African wing (AQIM) who later became a leader of Mali’s Movement for Unity and Jihad in the Islamic Maghreb (MUJAO) – had been killed by French air strikes. One of the sources said that Algerian militant Abou Walid Sahraoui, another former AQIM fighter who played a prominent role in MUJAO, had also been killed by strikes in the Tigharghar mountains in remote northeastern Mali.

Neither France’s defense ministry nor foreign ministry would confirm the death of Hamaha or Sahraoui.

Defense budget: training over benefits || by P-G Matuszak


img.php

Washington, February 24, 2014 — In their defense budget plan, Department of Defense leaders suggest; troops and retirees sacrifice their benefits for training and equipment funds.

Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff General Dempsey presented their recommended 2015 budget and a defense budget plan for the next several years.

In a press conference at the Pentagon, Gen. Dempsey stated:

“[The DoD defense budget plan] represents a responsible and, more importantly, a realistic way forward. […] 

It provides the tools for today’s force to accomplish the missions we have been assigned, rebuilding readiness in areas that were, by necessity, de-emphasized over the past decade. […]

It reflects in real terms how we’re reducing our cost, the cost of doing business, and working to ensure that the force is in the right balance. […] The chiefs and I will never end our campaign to find every way to become more effective. […]

We’ll seek innovative approaches not just in technology, but also in how we develop leaders, aggregate our formations and work with our partners.

We will improve how we buy weapons and goods and services, streamline our headquarters, and, with the support of our elected leaders, shed excess infrastructure and weapons systems that we no longer need and simply can no longer afford.”

The leaders both stated that defense budgets in recent years split 50 percent for human resource costs and 50 percent for operational, training, and equipment costs. Facing a potentially reduced defense allocation, the DoD suggests cutting costs by cutting some military benefits and slowing the growth of others to easier fix the out of control defense budget. Their major point was that no base pay would be cut.

Read More Here: Defense budget: training over benefits by P-G Matuszak

Ukraine Conflict: Putin Strengthens His True Enemies || by Benjamin Bidder


Military personnel, believed to be a Russian serviceman, stands guard on military vehicle outside the territory of a Ukrainian military unit in the village of Perevalnoye outside Simferopol

The Russian invasion of Crimea has the potential to set off an explosive set of events within Ukraine.

Although Russia has espoused moral justifications for its invasion of Crimea, President Vladimir Putin’s move is all about geopolitics. His short-sighted logic, however, could bring Ukrainian nationalists to power — and create a whole new set of problems.

Whenever Russia pursues its own interest against the will of the international community, a dictum by Czar Alexander III springs to mind. Russia, he said, has only two allies: its army and its navy. If you can believe the Kremlin’s propagandists, however, a new, unexpected ally has come to Moscow’s defense: the Western press. According to the website “Sputnik and Pogrom,” the Western media have “begun to support the Russian Federation’s course of action in the Crimean crisis.”

 

The statement has little basis in reality, but it has nevertheless been shared thousands of times on Russian social media networks. European reporters, it is said, have finally figured out that hardboiled neo-fascists and not freedom fighters were behind the takeover of Independence Square.

This has been the Russian propaganda line for months — that the West is ignoring the hordes of neo-Nazis bullying valiant Ukrainian policemen. The role of the violent nationalists, however, has been widely covered in the international press, and it was police brutality — and Yanukovych’s attempts, supported by Moscow, to outlast the protests — that actually radicalized Independence Square. When students were beaten down on the night of November 30, they had neither helmets, nor batons, nor firearms.

Russia’s Ridiculous Justification

Read More Here: http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/russian-invasion-of-crimea-will-create-nationalist-problem-in-ukraine-a-956614.html

 

Obama preparing sanctions against Russia || By Julian Pecquet


Hill Global Affairs

crimea_ukraine_030314getty

The Obama administration is “likely” to impose sanctions on Russia because of its actions in Ukraine, the State Department declared Monday.

State Department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said that planning for sanctions has gone into overdrive following stepped up Russian interference in the Crimea region, including unconfirmed reports that Russia has given Ukrainian troops in the Crimea until 10 p.m. EST to surrender.

“At this point we’re not just considering sanctions; given the actions Russia has taken it is likely that we will put those in place,” Psaki said. “And we are preparing that right now.”

Psaki did not give any details on what sanctions the administration might impose, but Secretary of State John Kerry has said the U.S. could ban visas and freeze the assets of Russian officials.