President Barack Obama’s latest budget proposal calls for $1.1 billion to be spent on gun control, or in the words of the administration to “protect Americans from gun violence.” While that might sound warm and fuzzy to the people who believe guns are the problem, the fact is, these proposals do nothing to stop criminals and will only stop law-abiding citizens from being able to protect themselves and their families from violence.
As part of the $1.1 Billion plan, the Obama administration earmarks $182 million to support the president’s ‘Now is the Time’ gun safety initiative.” This program, according to the Whitehouse website (link to White House), will:
- Ban assault and high-capacity magazines. (limiting ammunition magazines to 10 rounds)
- Require background checks on all private gun sales.
- Create a new background check system
- Ban so-called assault weapons.
- Ban certain types of ammunition that the government thinks is to powerful.