The Garment Center Congregation, an Orthodox synagogue in Mid-town Manhattan,
was founded in 1931 to serve Jewish workers in the shmatte industry.
City’s destroyed Twin Towers slowly died. But the developer behind the Ground Zero Mosque (or Park51, as it was formally known), Sharif el-Gamal, has now set his sights on mid-town. He and a partner, Murray Hill Properties, signed a contract to buy a building at 205 West 40th Street. The building there is currently occupied by the New School for Design. And there is a synagogue in that building.